The article is written for the self-hosted WordPress blogs and websites. I actually came across a plugin by coincidence, while I was searching something else. The plugin allows you to use your own domain name to create short links or urls. The name of this free plugin is Pretty Link Lite. The plugin has been downloaded almost 1 million times and it has 4 star ratings from 138 users. The current version is 1.6.5.
Create a Short Link or URL using Your Own Domain Name
- Open the WordPress Dashboard of your site. Go to Plugins – Add New.
- Search for Pretty Link Lite. Download and Install the plugin.
- You will see Pretty Link options at the bottom of left sidebar.
- You can also see Pretty Link Quick Add option on your Dashboard.
- Copy and Paste the Target URL. It is the Long URL that you want to shorten.
- Enter a Pretty Link. It is the Short URL that you would like to get. For example, yourdomain.com/xyz. You can enter whatever you want instead of xyz.
- Create. The long url will now redirect to the newly created short url (or Pretty Link).
- You can track the hits or clicks on your short url from Pretty Link options.
Pretty Link Lite Options
- You can decide, if you want to track hits on short urls or not.
- It is possible to create a group of links.
- You can add nofollow to your links.
- Exclude IP Addresses and Filter Robots.
- Tracking Style.
Try this plugin to shrink urls and let me know your opinion about it. You can also share the free alternatives for Pretty Link Lite.